We're Hiring: Humbly Confident Seasonal Customer Support Specialist
About Us and Why We’re Hiring
We build “You Need a Budget,” the best budgeting software around. (But people in the know call us YNAB, which is pronounced “why-nab”). For more than a decade, people have been buying YNAB and then telling their friends what a difference it has made in their lives. Google us, or read some of our reviews on the app store, and you’ll see what we mean. We love building something that literally changes people’s lives, and we have an impressive (if we do say so ourselves) ecosystem of apps, live classes, and stellar support.
As we wind down 2022 and prepare for the new year, we’re looking for tech-savvy, friendly, Seasonal Customer Support Specialists. This is a temporary, part-time (23-27 hours per week), remote position beginning in early November 2022 and going through mid-February 2023. If you’re a YNAB user already (or willing to learn!) and are known for being helpful, patient, and awesome, we want to hear from you!
We have one overarching requirement when it comes to joining our team—even temporarily: our Core Values have to really click with you. If you’re nodding emphatically while reading it, you’ll probably fit right in!
- Understanding of, or willingness to learn, YNAB.
- Tech-savvy. We’re not saying you need to know C++, but navigating multiple programs at once and troubleshooting technical issues shouldn’t scare you
- Excellent written English
- Available to work 23-27 hours per week, with shifts between 4 and 8 hours (including a Saturday or Sunday)
More about our ideal Seasonal Support Rep…
January is our busiest time of the year! We receive thousands of messages from old and new YNABers alike who want to start off the year on the right foot. We want you to join our dedicated support team to help us answer each of these messages in a friendly and timely manner.
You will be the face of YNAB. We’ll train you to answer the most common questions our users have so you’ll be able to make a difference from your very first shift.
You won’t mind answering the same question multiple times in the same shift, because it’s a different customer each time—another chance to make someone’s day.
You’re also able to change gears relatively quickly. You may answer multiple credit card questions in a row, then effortlessly switch to a direct import issue when you come across it.
You manage to exceed expectations even when you deliver a different answer than the customer was hoping for.
You know that speed of response is extremely important, but you can walk that fine line between speed and accuracy. You are a master of being direct and friendly within the same sentence.
You’re a team player. You know that your performance impacts the team as a whole, and are constantly striving to make yourself, and thus the team, better.
You love taking that one little extra step beyond what’s expected. You’re creative in that way.
Who You’d Be Working With:
Natalie & Renae are on our support onboarding team and will be your managers during your time at YNAB. They have the incredible privilege of walking you through all the ins and outs of YNAB support. Along with the entire onboarding team, they are excited to be right there with you as you work in the queue. You’ll have many opportunities to ask questions, get feedback and receive plenty of virtual high-fives.
Your team of fellow seasonal support reps will likely be some of the best people you’ve ever worked with. You may be spread over the globe, but you’ll come together in your Slack (our internal communication platform) channels for a quick hello before hopping into the queue.
A Day in the Life:
You’re typically scheduled for a five hour shift, but things are busy in the queue this week and you have some flexibility in your schedule, so you offered to work six hours today. That extra hour means even more users you get to delight with your responses.
You start your shift by checking for any recent updates and announcements. Once caught up there, you close Slack to minimize distractions as you head into the queue.
Your first stop is your follow-ups. You had yesterday off, so your teammates took care of most of them, but there are a few that came in earlier this morning—including some from users letting you know your last responses solved their issues perfectly, so your day is off to a great start!
Then, new conversations will be routed to you and you’ll reply to each one. You’re often surprised by the complexity of the questions you see, but you’re excited for the challenge each one brings. And you know you can hand off the ones beyond your level, and plan for some time out of the queue to fill in those knowledge gaps.
Today you have your one-to-one meeting with your manager, so you pop in your headphones and hop on a video call to talk about your metrics, goals, and some tricky conversations you want a second opinion on.
Before you know it your work day is over, so you say goodbye to your team in Slack, change your Slack status, and quickly scan your task list and calendar for tomorrow. Satisfied with the day’s work, you close your laptop and move on with the rest of your day.
You’re who we’re looking for if you:
- Are an excellent self-manager and can meet the performance expectations set by your manager.
- Can commit to a set schedule of 23-27 hours per week, with shifts between 4 and 8 hours (including a Saturday or Sunday)
- Value excellence and continuous improvement. At the same time.
- Have excellent written English.
- Understand how every support response is an expression of the YNAB culture and brand.
- Are considered a stellar communicator.
- Love brightening someone’s day.
- Can tactfully deliver difficult news and get a thank you for it. You’re that good.
- Enjoy rolling with the punches and trying things you haven’t ever done before.
- Aren’t afraid to ask questions and come to every 1:1 with topics to discuss.
- Are wildly productive and independent, but a team-player at heart.
- Have a reliable laptop or computer for work (a tablet or Chromebook won’t quite cut it for some of the programs we use).
- You already use and love YNAB.
- You have Customer Support experience.
- You are available to work sometime between 4pm and 10pm UTC.
Pay for this seasonal position will be $18 USD per hour
YNAB is an equal opportunity employer. We believe diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, abilities, and experiences to be critical to our success and are passionate about creating a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative environment for all employees. All are encouraged to apply as we continue to grow a smart, hard-working, and diverse team who love working together to build something that matters.
How to Apply
Please note that while YNAB is fully remote, because this particular role is a short-term, temporary position, you must either live outside the U.S. or live in one of the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin. We are also not able to hire in the United Kingdom for this role.
- Write a cover letter (attached as a PDF) introducing yourself explaining why this position interests you and why you would be a great fit. Cover letters are meant to sell, so sell us!
- On a separate page of your cover letter, answer the following questions (with each response being about a paragraph in length):
- What is your secret to great customer support?
- What excites you most about this position?
- Tell us about a time when you had to learn something new to excel at your job.
- What hours of the day work for you? What days of the week are off limits?
- As mentioned, we need seasonal employees who can work from early November (November 7, to be exact) through mid-February, please let us know if you have any time off needs during this time.
- Attach your resume as a PDF.
- Deadline for applications is 11:59pm ET on October 1, 2022. Firm. It’s a real deadline.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
P.S. We’ll send you a confirmation email once you apply. Please add that email to your safe sender list, to ensure that future emails come through. (If you don’t receive it, please check your promotions inbox, junk folder, or any filters you may have set up.)
P.P.S. Please be aware that while we’ve historically kept a group of seasonal support specialists beyond the initial seasonal time period, this year we do not intend to convert any temporary contracts into permanent ones. You can expect this role to last no longer than 16 weeks.