Imagine getting a text message when your Groceries category is overspent or automatically tweeting “My @ynab Age of Money just reached 30 days!”. Or, how about getting an email when your Checking account balance drops below $200.00? You could even change the color of your Phillip Hue light to green when you reach a category goal!
Zapier lets you connect YNAB to 1,500+ other apps so you can do just about anything you think of when something with your budget changes. Unleash your budgeting superpowers.
Follow the steps below to get started.
Step 1 – Sign up for Zapier
Sign up for a free Zapier account. It’s easy!
Step 2 – Create a Zap
Try some of the pre-made examples below, and learn more about how YNAB works with Zapier. This is the easiest way to get started.
Need some help? Check out the Zapier Help and Support Docs.
If you’re feeling adventurous you can also build a custom workflow. This is where your superpowers will really take flight.
- Log in to your Zapier account and go to the Zap Editor.
- Type “You Need A Budget” in the Choose a Trigger App search box and select the YNAB app.
- Select a Trigger from the list. Be sure to click “show less common options” to explore all the possible triggers. There are plenty to choose from.
- On the next step click “Connect an Account”.
- You will be taken to YNAB’s secure website and asked to login. Login using your YNAB account information.You’ll then be asked to authorize the “Zapier for YNAB” application and to select a default budget. Be sure to select the budget you want Zapier to work with. Once you authorize the app, you should be taken back to the Zapier website and see a “Success!” message like this:
- Follow the next step which may ask you for some trigger options, depending upon the Trigger you selected. For example, if you selected the “Low Category Balance” trigger, you’ll be asked what balance amount to trigger on.
- Once the Trigger setup it done, you’ll be able to select an Action. This is what Zapier will do when something is triggered from your YNAB budget. Simply select one of the Built-In apps like Email or SMS (text message).
- Follow the rest of the steps until you get to the last screen that allows toggle your Zap “ON”. Click the toggle and you should get confirmation that your new Zap is turned on and ready to go.
- That’s it! Each time your Zap is triggered your Action will run. Superpowers unleashed.
Need inspiration? See everything that’s possible with YNAB and Zapier. Need some help? Check out the Zapier Help and Support Docs.